Days 10 - 14 – Lyme Regis, travel day

On Tuesday, we met our friend (and former neighbor from Clark Street) Susan Halls and her new man, Julian, in Lyme Regis. Susan and Julian live a bit farther to the west, in Cornwall. Julian is an architectural historian, and one of his areas of expertise is the architecture of pubs in the UK. I could have talked to him all day.

We had a nice (though overpriced!) lunch at the Cobb Arms. Here's a view of a different, more central, part of the city:














From the next day, here's a picture of Betsy in her new rain jacket in front of the cottage in Cattistock:















A few pictures from a rainy walk just outside of Cattistock:











Betsy had to do her video covid test Thursday, and that went fine (after a bit of confusion about the app vs. the test website), so she was cleared to fly. On Friday, we drove to Winchester (about 2 hours from where we were) and looked for a place to have a quick pub lunch, but it's a good-sized city and parking was in short supply, so we headed down to the bus station south of the city to wait for her coach to Heathrow. We dined al fresco on the finest Esso sandwiches and orange seltzer. The coach was on time, no issues, which was a huge relief. 

I drove south and east along the coast to a small town, South Heighton, about 10 miles east of Brighton. Not nearly as much fun without Betsy—I kept noticing things I thought she would appreciate as much as I did, like the local pub (about 500 feet from the garden studio where I'm staying) with its constant stream of happy, well-behaved dogs plus a very friendly bartender who told me all about the plans for the Queen's platinum jubilee next week. Many of the houses on the street were decorated with scarecrows as part of a jubilee competition. Not sure what any of them mean, but they were fun to see:




























Excellent fish and chips from the "chippy" just down the street. I wish Betsy could have enjoyed it all with me....



Finally, the view from my spot for the next week:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4 – Rye + Bodiam Castle

Preparing to leave

Days 5, 6, & 7 – Battle of Hastings, Seven Sisters, Driving to Dorset